Sensor Solutions manufactures a variety of sensors used for measuring speed, direction, position, alignment, and proximity of components in the transportation industry. Magnetic sensors are used in many different types of vehicles and equipment for moving people, animals, and goods around the globe.
Magnetic Sensors in Railroad Applications
Sensor Solutions provides multiple sensors to manufacturers of locomotive equipment for measuring speed of motor components. Our proximity sensors are also used in applications for monitoring the position of rail cars for loading/unloading or inspection. Several specific applications are listed below.
- Digital Ferrous Metal Proximity Sensors for precise detection of the position of railroad cars.
- Gear Detection Sensors for measuring the rotation speed of railroad engines.
- Analog Ferrous Metal Position Sensors for measuring Valve Lift Height in Diesel motors
Magnetic Sensors in Public Transportation Applications
Public buses, trains, trolleys, subways, gondolas and chairlifts all utilize magnetic sensors for monitoring engine speed, wheel speed, camsghaft and crankshaft positions for ensuring vehicles are running smoothly and for operators monitoring speed. Magnetic switches are also commonly used to confirm vehicle doors are properly closed and as safety switches in public transportation applications. Below are a few examples of specific applications where Sensor Solutions sensors are currently used.
- Analog Ferrous Metal Position Sensors monitoring transmission position in Hybrid Busses
- Gear Detection Sensors for measuring the rotation speed of motors on busses, trolleys, and subway cars.
- Gear Detection Sensors for measuring wheel and shaft rotation to provide vehicle speed.
- Speed and Direction Gear Tooth Sensors to provide directional movement feedback of trailers.
- Speed and Direction Gear Tooth Sensors to provide speed and direction feedback to the control system in large vehicle axles.
Magnetic Sensors in Material Transportation Applications
In addition to moving people, magnetic sensors are also frequently used in specialty vehicles for transporting materials and assembled products. Sensor Solutions provides OEM solutions specific to different material and product transportation requirements. Below are just a few applications where Sensor Solutions magnetic sensors are commonly found.
- Quadrature Magnet Sensors and Speed and Direction Magnet Sensors for monitoring the direction of drum rotation of concrete trucks.
- Speed and Direction Gear Tooth Sensors for trailer backup alarms/notification.
- Magnetic Tape Tracking Sensors for guiding Automated Guided Vehicles and Cards moving materials in warehouses and on assembly lines.
- Digital Hall Effect Sensors and Reed Switches as limit switches detecting if dump trailers or tilt trailers are open.
- Coded Alignment Sensing Systems for confirming that doors are closed on refuse trucks before crushers are activated.